my obessesion

my  obessesion
To live a creative life ,we must lose our fear of being wrong
Joseph Chilton Pearce

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Birds Mae's recipe corner: Good and versatile Marina Sauce

1/2 cup extra virgin oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup coarsely grated  or finely chopped, peeled carrot
1/4 cup grated or finely chopped celery
Kosher salt
1 large clove garlic, minced
Two 28 oz cans  crushed Tomatoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or mixture
1/4 tsp hot pepper such as Sriracha
Pinch of granulated sugar, if needed
Fresh lemon juice, if needed

1.In a large,wide, heavy saucepan or large, deep sauté pan , heat the oil over medium heat.

2.Add the onions,carrot,celery and 1/2 tsp salt cook, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.

3.  Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so(don't let it brown).

4. Add the tomatoes and herbs and bring the tomatoes to a simmer. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook uncovered. Stir occasionally and cook for 30-40 minutes.
5. Add the hot pepper sauce you can taste it and make adjustments with sugar, salt and lemon juice (if needed).

Variations

1.I substituted sliced mushrooms and mined garlic for the veggies to speed things up.

2.I didn't use the salt, lemon or Sriracha which is where I went wrong it definitely needed the salt.But I liked the sauce in general and for the kids I used shredded cheese to make up for the lack of salt which they like. This is definitely a good sauce to start off with. Honey Martha knows her sauces! Besides the cream and butter sauces there are Sabayon,custard and Carmel sauces to name a few. Safe to say you will see more from this book.

No comments:

yum

yum

About This blog

My fondest memoreis in my life are the ones at my grandmother's table.I loved not only the warm,velvety ,slightly sweet 7-up cake, but the affirmation that I was loved. What started out as a creative outlet and a place to honor her loving,generous spirit has evolved into a food blog where I can blather on about recipes, food trends, and basically any food related topic that foodies would like, ....you get the idea. I am sure my family and anyone I've been friendly with for more than 2 minutes will breathe a collective sigh of relief, since I don't have to dump my food conversations on them all the time. Also to mix things up I will share scrapbook pages. I want the blog to refect who I am and what I like to do when apart from being a full time Mama and part time college student.Thank you for sharing this journey of exploration with me.