my obessesion

my  obessesion
To live a creative life ,we must lose our fear of being wrong
Joseph Chilton Pearce

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Birda Mae's Recipe Corner: Shrimp Currry


1 tablespoon chile oil or vegetable oil 
1 scallion ,sliced , including the tops
1 1/2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste or curry podwer
1 cup light coconut milk 
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups cubed sweet potatoes or white potatoes
3/4 pound  shrimp devined
1 cup  frozen peas frozen,thawed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Optional garnish lime wedges  and cilantro leaves

  • In skillet, heat oil until hot . Saute scallion, about 1 minute.  Stir in curry paste . Whisk in coconut  and broth;bring to simmer.  Add potatoes; cook partially covered , until tender, about 10 minutes.  Add shrimp, lime juice,peas and chopped cilantro.  Simmer until shrimp are opaque and cooked throught, about 3 minutes. You can serve this with couscous or rice. Garnish with sliced scallion, lime wedges and cilantro.
  • I go this recipe from March 2009 issue of Essence magazine only had 242 mg of sodium
  • I omitted the potatoes you dont need them actually and I have made it with regular coconut milk wither way tasted the same but with the light milk it's only 9 grams of fat.
  • I use cocco nut curry instead of regular curry which has cocnut and red pepper flakes added for a little more heat. I like white onions sauted in the red chile oil it's kinda bland with the vegetable oil.
I  don't cook with  alot of salt these days but I will have a newer segment called Cheat Days with Edna to honor my great-aunt who passed away March 2012.  She was Birda Mae's sister
and a really good cook as well so  ,periodically I will feature a rich  , savory or something truly fattening  on those posts.Have a great weekend and stay gold!




No comments:

yum

yum

About This blog

My fondest memoreis in my life are the ones at my grandmother's table.I loved not only the warm,velvety ,slightly sweet 7-up cake, but the affirmation that I was loved. What started out as a creative outlet and a place to honor her loving,generous spirit has evolved into a food blog where I can blather on about recipes, food trends, and basically any food related topic that foodies would like, ....you get the idea. I am sure my family and anyone I've been friendly with for more than 2 minutes will breathe a collective sigh of relief, since I don't have to dump my food conversations on them all the time. Also to mix things up I will share scrapbook pages. I want the blog to refect who I am and what I like to do when apart from being a full time Mama and part time college student.Thank you for sharing this journey of exploration with me.