my obessesion

my  obessesion
To live a creative life ,we must lose our fear of being wrong
Joseph Chilton Pearce

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Birda Mae's Recipe Corner:Chicken Tortilla Soup

Prep 30 minutes.  cook 40 min.

Ingredients:



  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4(6inch)corn tortillas, cut 1 inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 2(32-ounce)containers chicken broth
  • 1(14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes,undrained and chopped
  • 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained and chopped
  • 10 ounce can greentomatoes with green chiles undrained
  • 1 tablespoon gound cumin
  • 1/2teaspoon pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
           8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4 -inch strips
            Garnishes:shredded Montery Jack cheese, sour cream


  1. Heat 3 tablespoon of oil in a Duthc oven over medium-high heat.  Add tortilla pieces and next3 ingredients: saute'5 minutes or until onion is tender.  Add chicken and next 6 ingredients.  Bring to a boil:reduceheat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
  2. Discard Bay leaf.
  3. Heat1/2 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat: add tortilla strips; and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels  To serve, ladle soup in bowls .  Top each seving with tortilla strips . garnish if desired.
Variations
I didn't use the bay leaf and it was still a big hit when  I ran out of the fried tortilla chips I did decide to bake
them instead which was pretty good,also . I am thinking about making it again this weekend since it's actually
cold enough to enjoy it.

No comments:

yum

yum

About This blog

My fondest memoreis in my life are the ones at my grandmother's table.I loved not only the warm,velvety ,slightly sweet 7-up cake, but the affirmation that I was loved. What started out as a creative outlet and a place to honor her loving,generous spirit has evolved into a food blog where I can blather on about recipes, food trends, and basically any food related topic that foodies would like, ....you get the idea. I am sure my family and anyone I've been friendly with for more than 2 minutes will breathe a collective sigh of relief, since I don't have to dump my food conversations on them all the time. Also to mix things up I will share scrapbook pages. I want the blog to refect who I am and what I like to do when apart from being a full time Mama and part time college student.Thank you for sharing this journey of exploration with me.