- 6 small to medium peppers red or green ,13/4to 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350o. Cut tops from peppers and remove seeds and ribs, keeping peppers whole. Brush outside of peppers. with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- In a medium frying pan, heat remaining olive over medium heat. Add onion and cook stirring to break up lumps, until it begins to lose its pinkness, 5to7 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage and onion to a medium bowl. Add rice,parsley, Parmesan cheese, and egg. Toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff peppers, with rice and sausage filling, mounding top slightly. Place peppers in a 13x9 inch baking
- dish. Mix tomato sauce with water and pour into dish around peppers. Bake 45 minutes.
I used ground beef in mine I didn't really care for pouring that tomato sauce and water in the pan, but
I tell you it's the best 4 dollars I spent on amazon it's just that I should have fixed them like Birda Mae use to
she put the tomato sauce in the pepper with the stuffing and they were awesome. My Amazon clicky thing isn't working I apologize that's why I included the image.