my obessesion

my  obessesion
To live a creative life ,we must lose our fear of being wrong
Joseph Chilton Pearce

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Birda Mae's Recipe Corner: Floritine Steak with Mushrooms and Brandy

                                                         I got this image from here
               

              Ingredients

  • 4 boneless beef rib steaks, cuat  1/2 inch thickk, 6 to 8 ounce each
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves,minced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms such as shitakes, oyster mushrooms ,cepes ro morels sliced
  • 1/4 cup brandy,warmed
  • 1/2 cup canned beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
         Instructions:



  1. Trim excess fat from steaks.  Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
  2. In a onnreactive large frying pan, melt 3tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.  Add garlic and oninon  and cook 2 to 3  minutes , or until onion is softented.  Add mushrooms and cook  2 to 3  minutes or until they begin to color.  Pour brandy into pan and ignite with a match. Shake pan until flames  subside.  Add stock, bring to boil over high heat, and cook until liquid  is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.  Season with remaining 1/2  teaspoon salt, 1/4 teasoon pepper, and parsley.
  3. In another large frying pan over high heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon oil. Add steaks and cook 3 minutes on one side and 3 to 4 minutes on second side, or longer  to desired degree of doneness.  Remove steaks to a platter and pour mushrooms and sauce over.
     Variation:
        Let me say right off the bat I didn't use the brandy because
            a) couldn't afford it  and
            b) I didn't want to set fire to my kitchen  and have to be on the 10 o' clock news. (I can hear
               Dave Ward from channel 13 now "Mom seeking adventure sets fire to her kitchen when all her
                kids wanted was chicken nuggets news at 10!"
          I went to Wal mart supercenter and got the red cooking wine and some parmesan risotto out of
t       the box and it was on and popping!  I gotta tell ya the parsley really did give this dish a really nice
     presentation.    For those of you in the Houston area if you go to HEB Central Market you can get the
     organic ones in a large quantity at a reasonable price.  Also I used a sirloin steak but next time I will use
     the beef rib steak or a cut of steak that is really  thick because it definitely makes the difference!

No comments:

yum

yum

About This blog

My fondest memoreis in my life are the ones at my grandmother's table.I loved not only the warm,velvety ,slightly sweet 7-up cake, but the affirmation that I was loved. What started out as a creative outlet and a place to honor her loving,generous spirit has evolved into a food blog where I can blather on about recipes, food trends, and basically any food related topic that foodies would like, ....you get the idea. I am sure my family and anyone I've been friendly with for more than 2 minutes will breathe a collective sigh of relief, since I don't have to dump my food conversations on them all the time. Also to mix things up I will share scrapbook pages. I want the blog to refect who I am and what I like to do when apart from being a full time Mama and part time college student.Thank you for sharing this journey of exploration with me.