my obessesion

my  obessesion
To live a creative life ,we must lose our fear of being wrong
Joseph Chilton Pearce

Monday, May 2, 2011

Birda Mae's Recipe Corner: Creamy Cajun Shrimp Linguine

                                           I got this image from here

Here I go again with Cajun food!  This segement of my blog is named after my grandmother(Birda Mae) who passed away November '09.  So from time to time I will post something creole or cajun since this reminds me of her I felt like this was the best way to honor her memory but keeping the tradition of good cooking going.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup water
  • 1 14 oz can fat free , less sodium broth
  • 6 oz. uncooked linguine
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and devined
  • 11/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1 8 oz package pre sliced mushrooms
  • 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
  • 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup half and half
  • 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley.
 Directions

  1.  Combine 1 cup water and broth in a Dutch oven;  bring to a boil.  Break pasta in half add to pan.   Bring mixture toa boil.  Cover,reeduce, heat , and simmer for 8 minutes.  Add shrimp to pan.  Cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until shrimp is done:drain.
  2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high.  Add mushrooms and pepper to pan;  saute 4 minutes or until moisture evaporates,  Add flour seasoniong and salt to a pan; saute 30 seconds.  Stir in half and half, cook. 1minute or until thick, stirring constantly.  Removefrom heat.  Add past mixture and parsley to pan, toss.
Varation:
I omitted the flour and broth and bell pepper . I substitued Ragu' Light Parmesan sauce and frozen sweet peas so I wouldn't have to chop anything. Plus I don't think my kids would've ate the bell pepper.  Also I forgot the
linguine and used good old spaghetti since I have like a gazillion of them  in my pantry.This recipe is linked up to Just Something I Whipped up,Mouthwatering Mondays,Tempt my Tummy Tuesday Night Supper Club and Whatcha Makin Wed

1 comment:

carolinaheartstrings said...

Oh my does that recipe looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing it. Thanks for visiting out site and we look forward to linking up on yours!!!!

yum

yum

About This blog

My fondest memoreis in my life are the ones at my grandmother's table.I loved not only the warm,velvety ,slightly sweet 7-up cake, but the affirmation that I was loved. What started out as a creative outlet and a place to honor her loving,generous spirit has evolved into a food blog where I can blather on about recipes, food trends, and basically any food related topic that foodies would like, ....you get the idea. I am sure my family and anyone I've been friendly with for more than 2 minutes will breathe a collective sigh of relief, since I don't have to dump my food conversations on them all the time. Also to mix things up I will share scrapbook pages. I want the blog to refect who I am and what I like to do when apart from being a full time Mama and part time college student.Thank you for sharing this journey of exploration with me.