- 1(1/4-oz)envelope active dry yeast
- 11/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 cups breadflour
- vegetable oil
- sifted powdered sugar
- 1.Make the yeast mixture. Combine yeast, 1/2 cup warm water,and 1 tsp granulated sugar,in a bowl of a heavy duty stand mixer. Let stand 5 minutes. Add milk, eggs,salt and remaining granulated sugar.
- Form a dough. Microwave remaining 1 cup water until hot, stir shortening until heated. Add to yeast
- mixture. Beat at low speed, gradually Add 4 cups flour until smooth. Gradually add remaining 21/2 to 3 cups flour, beating until sticky dough forms. Tranfer to a lightly greased bowl turn to grease tip. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Roll and cut. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, roll to 1/4 inch thickness, cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
- Fry until golden, Pour oil to depth of 2 to 3 inches into a dutch oven heat to 350o. Fry dough in
- batches 2 to 3 minutes on each side , Drain on a wire rack . Dust immediately with powdered sugar.