my obessesion

my  obessesion
To live a creative life ,we must lose our fear of being wrong
Joseph Chilton Pearce

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Birda Mae's Recipe Corner:Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya

                                                  I  got this image from here

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 pound medium shrimp
  • 1 pound ham(preferablely smoke) cubed
  • 1 pound Kielbasa,andouille, or chorizo sausage sliced
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 large celery stalks diced
  • 1 green or red bell pepper
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 11/2 cups long grain rice
  • 1 16 oz can dice tomatoes
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup choppped parsley
  1. heat the oil in a large, heavy stockpot over high heat and add shrimp.  Cook stirring constantly until the 
  2. shrimp curl and just begin to brown,about 3 minutes remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon.Add the ham and sausage to the stockpot and cook stirring frequently until broth are well browned about 15 minutes.  reduce heat to medium and add garlic, celery, bell pepper and onion.  Cook stirring frequently, until tender, about to minutes.  Stir in the rice, tomatoes,broth,salt, cayenne pepper, and half parsley.Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed.  Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook until all liquid is absorbed 3-5 minutes more.
Variation:
I used frozen sweet peas in place of bell pepper, and omitted the ham  to save time and money they enjoyed
.  I always have a soft spot in my heart for creole cooking since I have relatives from both sides of my family
that still live in Louisiana..I will make this again .  I am linked up toJust Something I Whipped up,Tempt My Tummy ,Tuesday,Tuesday Night Supper ClubWhatcha Makin' Wed and Mouthwatering Monday

1 comment:

Candace said...

I just made Shrimp, Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya this week and almost shared that with this week's hop. Great minds think alike! Yours looks delicious. I love that you added peas to it. I'm a Louisiana girl and I don't think I've ever had it that way; but it sounds delicious to me. Thanks for the idea!

yum

yum

About This blog

My fondest memoreis in my life are the ones at my grandmother's table.I loved not only the warm,velvety ,slightly sweet 7-up cake, but the affirmation that I was loved. What started out as a creative outlet and a place to honor her loving,generous spirit has evolved into a food blog where I can blather on about recipes, food trends, and basically any food related topic that foodies would like, ....you get the idea. I am sure my family and anyone I've been friendly with for more than 2 minutes will breathe a collective sigh of relief, since I don't have to dump my food conversations on them all the time. Also to mix things up I will share scrapbook pages. I want the blog to refect who I am and what I like to do when apart from being a full time Mama and part time college student.Thank you for sharing this journey of exploration with me.