Skip to main content

Birda Mae's Recipe Corner:Slow Cooker Cornbread Dressing

Southern Living 2005 Annual Recipes: Every 2005 recipe -- Over 900! 


  • 41/2 cups  cornbread crumbs
  • 1(16-ounce) package herb stuffing mix
  • 2(103/4ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
  • 2(14 ounce) cans low -sodium chicken broth
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
  • 1/2teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter,cut up

  1. Stir together frist 10 ingredients
  2.  Pour cornbread mixture into a lightly greased 5 1/2 or 6 quart  slow cooker. Dot with butter.
  3. Cook,covered on LOW 4 hours or until cooked through and set Makes 12 to 16 servings
I used the Heb brand of cornbread( last year I used Jiffy) and I used the Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned
Stuffing Mix but I prefer the Stove Top stuffing for this because they have several flavors to choose from.  I made Pineapple Ham , mashed potatoes, string beans, and Cranberry-Coconut Pound Cake to go with it .
To cut down my cooking time I bought the rolls and a Marie Callendar's   Thaw and Serve Pie. I am thinking about making this a Thanksgiving Tradition . Any suggestions? I got this image fromwww.recipe.com
This recipe is linked up to :



Comments

I haven't made stuffing yet this year! This looks good, love the cornbread in it, thanks!
Bethany said…
oooooh! I've been looking for this exact recipe! I'd love if you'd link this over at Menu Inspiration Monday!

http://thebigredpot.blogspot.com/2010/11/broccoli-cheese-soup.html
MrsJenB said…
Oooh I wish I had known about this when I was considering easy recipes for stuffing last week! :-)
April said…
Oh, what a great idea. I hadn't thought of using the crockpot for things like this. :) Definitely need to branch out a bit from beans and stews, lol.
Pam said…
Yummmmmm - can't eat a good dressing recipe. And my slow cooker is my best friend. What a terrific combo.

I'm visiting from Tasty Tuesday Blog Hop. Glad I hopped your way.

Pam @ The Journey Leads Home
Bella said…
Oh, this sounds really good. I've been experimenting with stuffing recipes this year and just made a cornbread sausage stuffing that was divine. I'll have to try this in the crock pot - I'm intrigued by the addition of the creamy soup.
Your recipe looks verrry good! I wish I had it last week! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.
Hi - I just found your Whatcha Makin' Wednesdays on the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop. I stopped by originally to check out your great looking stuffing recipe and ended leaving a link. Thanks for hosting!
Christy said…
I am a huge stuffing fan and I love to use my crockpot on things like this - thanks for sharing this with the hearth and soul hop!
Christy said…
my crockpot is getting a workout with all these great recipes i am finding.i never thought to make dressing in it...what a wonderful recipe! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club

Popular posts from this blog

Bonus Recipes:Paula Deen's:Hearty Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon of butter
1 cup of thinly sliced carrots
1 small zuccini sliced lenghwise
and cut crosswise into thin slices
1/2 cup onion
2 cups tightly packed fresh baby spinach
2 cups(14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil,garlic,and oregeno
2 cups chicken broth
1   (15-ounce) can Northern beans,drained
 1 cup frozen cut green beans,thawed
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.In a Dutch oven ,melt butter over medium heat .  Add carrots,zucchini and  onion
cook stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 min or until vegetables are tender( more like an 1hour on low heat total
Add sinach stirring until wilted.
2.Add diced tomatoes,broth beans green beans,pepper and salt.Bring to boil :reduce heat and simmer.

For more of her recipes go here.

Variation
I omitted the spinach and Northern beans (my kids wouldn't have eaten it) I substituted.  Italian
style vegetables which has the zucchini and Italian style green beans and for a little more
something I pute…

My cookbook addiction

Hello my name is Cheryl and I'm addicted to really ,practical cookbooks! Yes I just posted on another Weight Watchers cookbook. I have no interest in the point system none whatsoever. This little factoid is how you know I just love buying, collecting and maintaining an extensive cook book collection. I only paid the $2.00 plus shipping and handling and got a real bargain! This is organized more like a traditional cookbook  soup and starters,breakfast and brunch,poultry,yeast breads,quick breads etc...I was a little disappointed with the slow cooker section.I use my slow cooker every week and was hoping for a little more to choose from. I am very pleased with vegetarian main dishes.We are not vegetarian or vegan just a busy Mama/college student trying to get my growing kids to eat more vegetables. I wish I had started with this and the One pot cookbook back in 2012 when I had the health scare this would have made eating healthy a whole lot simpler. I will be looking over both so I…