Skip to main content

Birda Mae's Recipe Corner:Baked Potato Soup

Hi everyone my usb cord went out in the Canon Power Shot and the Sony cyber shot was already out .  I wasn't worried at first because I called Best Buy to get another one.  They didn't carry Sony one but they had a Universal  one that was in my price range. Long story short when I got to the one by my house they didn't have that but some other device.  I borrowed this image fromwww.recipe.com which also had their version.
I used the recipe fromThe Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook anyway on to the recipe

Prep time 15 minutes  Cook 1 hour and 12 minutes(You can boil the potatoes like I did to cut down your cooking time)

Ingredients:
4 large baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup all-pupose flour
6cups of milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 1/2 cups (6ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese,divided
12 slices bacon cooked crumbled and divided
4 green onions ,chopped and divided
1 8 ounce carton sour cream


  • Wash pottaoes; prick several times with a fork.  Bake at 400o degrees for 1 hour or until done;cool
  • Cut pottoaes in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp and reserve. Discard shells
  • Melt butter ina Dutch oven over low heat; add flour,stirring until smooth. Cook1 minute, stirring constantly.   Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat , stirring constantly,until thickened and bubbly.
Stir in potato,salt,pepper,1 cup cheese , 1/2 cup bacon, and 2 tablespoons green oninons; cook until heated (do not boil).Stir in sour cream; cook just until heated(do not boil), Sprinkle servings with remaining cheese, bacon and green onions.  Yield; 10 cups.


Variations: I cooked this soup twice because I had bought alot of sour cream and I didn't want it to go to waste.  I used 2 cups of 2% milk and 4 cups of Half and half, and a combination of Mexican cheese and Sharp Cheddar.It was really creamy and I loved it.
The second time I used 3 cups of 1% milk and 2 3/4 cups of Half and Half and 1/4 cup of Chicken broth
because I ran out of the other milk and had to buy more.  This wasn't as creamy; but still good but be careful not to boil  or it will be very scorchy!
I am linking up with www.girlichef.com,www.blessedwithgrace.net,www.weloveiowa.blogspot.comandwww.fudgeripple.blogspot.com  Plus since I feel a little guilty for not being to upload pictures  I have a Bonus Recipe below this post
from Paula Deen's  latest magazine(Sourdough Apricot  and Pecan Dressing)

Comments

girlichef said…
This is yet ANOTHER of my favorite kinds of soup....I like my soup ;) Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!
scrapaddict4sure said…
Thanks for stopping by I think great minds think alike!
Lyndsay said…
Baked potato soup - YUMM! As soon as I saw the heading on the Tasty Tuesday blog hop I had to come by. Very nice :-)
bj said…
We love potato soup..yours sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
Hope you get your camera fixed soon..I don't think I could live another minute if something happened to mine. :)))
Dan said…
This sounds so ridiculously good, but I'm not sure that my arteries could handle it!
Miranda said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I responded to your comment but not everyone subscribes to threads. Would love for you to link up to my fat camp fridays and Cookbook Sundays @ Brenda's Canadian Kitchen.
Cookbook Sundays - http://www.brendascanadiankitchen.com/2010/11/cookbook-sundays-rum-painted-pineapple.html
[My] Fat Camp Fridays - http://www.mangoesandchutney.com/p/button-codes.html
MMMMMMMMMMM I love potato soup... and everything in this looks amazing! What a beautiful picture too!

I hope you'll enter the CSN Giveaway that I'm hosting this week :)
What a great soup - perfect for a chilly evening. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your lovely comment.
Sue :-)
Aurelia said…
I've never tried potato soup but someone else was raving about it lately. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks really nice :)
Christy said…
Oh, I love potato soup - I have never made it with baked potatoes - yum! And I would use those skins to make an appetizer with cheese - yum. Thanks for sharing this with the Hearth and Soul Hop!
Christy said…
i really love baked potato soup...and this recipe looks scrumptious...so yummy! so nice to meet you--i have been browsing around your place for a bit and you have some great stuff here. thank you for linking up to tuesday night supper club.
Inspired2cook said…
Yumm...love potato soup!

Popular posts from this blog

Bonus Recipes:Paula Deen's:Hearty Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon of butter
1 cup of thinly sliced carrots
1 small zuccini sliced lenghwise
and cut crosswise into thin slices
1/2 cup onion
2 cups tightly packed fresh baby spinach
2 cups(14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil,garlic,and oregeno
2 cups chicken broth
1   (15-ounce) can Northern beans,drained
 1 cup frozen cut green beans,thawed
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.In a Dutch oven ,melt butter over medium heat .  Add carrots,zucchini and  onion
cook stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 min or until vegetables are tender( more like an 1hour on low heat total
Add sinach stirring until wilted.
2.Add diced tomatoes,broth beans green beans,pepper and salt.Bring to boil :reduce heat and simmer.

For more of her recipes go here.

Variation
I omitted the spinach and Northern beans (my kids wouldn't have eaten it) I substituted.  Italian
style vegetables which has the zucchini and Italian style green beans and for a little more
something I pute…

My cookbook addiction

Hello my name is Cheryl and I'm addicted to really ,practical cookbooks! Yes I just posted on another Weight Watchers cookbook. I have no interest in the point system none whatsoever. This little factoid is how you know I just love buying, collecting and maintaining an extensive cook book collection. I only paid the $2.00 plus shipping and handling and got a real bargain! This is organized more like a traditional cookbook  soup and starters,breakfast and brunch,poultry,yeast breads,quick breads etc...I was a little disappointed with the slow cooker section.I use my slow cooker every week and was hoping for a little more to choose from. I am very pleased with vegetarian main dishes.We are not vegetarian or vegan just a busy Mama/college student trying to get my growing kids to eat more vegetables. I wish I had started with this and the One pot cookbook back in 2012 when I had the health scare this would have made eating healthy a whole lot simpler. I will be looking over both so I…